Headquarters: Victoria, BC
Who we are:
and Out of the Sandbox
are leading designers of premium themes and apps for the Shopify ecommerce platform. We’re focused on helping our merchants — entrepreneurs, innovators, brands, and businesses large and small — succeed by providing them with the world’s best digital products, backed by exceptional customer support.
We are a team of 90+ across all departments, with headquarters in Victoria, BC, and remote team members distributed across Canada and beyond.
About the role:
Pixel Union is looking for an experienced front-end developer to join our Apps team. We're looking for someone who has an eye for the details that can make or break a stand out UX, and is comfortable helping their team put all of the pieces together. If you are looking to build products used by thousands of people and make an impact on their businesses, this could be the role for you!
Success in the role requires a high degree of flexibility and adaptability, a passion for both the practice and the principles of software development, a deep knowledge of front-end development technologies, and a desire to work closely with other developers and designers on the team to ensure all of our apps live up to Pixel Union’s reputation for industry-leading quality.
At Pixel Union we believe that working collaboratively is the best way to write code. We do so through pairing and thoughtful code review - we’re comfortable explaining the thinking behind their technical choices and the tradeoffs considered when making them.
As a Pixel Union dev, you'll...
- Develop features for merchants using Pixel Union’s Apps, in collaboration with other Apps developers
- Contribute to all aspects of front-end development for our Apps, primarily in React
- Contribute to design & planning discussions, ensuring the usability & technical feasibility of early-stage designs
- Provide recommendations and write documentation on architectural best practices for frontend architecture in our apps, developing reusable libraries for future use
- Integrate and collaborate with full stack developers in implementing solutions
- Learn and apply new technologies and techniques that best address the problems at hand
- Constantly seek new ways to improve our development process and practices, sharing knowledge with the team
- Participate in research activities to identify growth opportunities for our apps, turning these opportunities into real products
- Grow our development team’s skills with coaching, support and insight
You'll use your skills and experience in...
- Developing for React, using libraries that best solve the problems at hand
- Leading teams to meet objectives, communicating opinions and perspectives on necessary work and getting assistance from others to get that work done
- Working effectively in an agile, self-organizing team environment, regularly making goal-oriented decisions on the most impactful areas to contribute
- Collaboratively solving problems and sharing knowledge with others when solutions are found, advocating for the best solutions and reasoning behind decisions
- Leaving things better than you found them - advocating for improvements to the team’s practices, processes, and tools, to help us reliably deliver quality results
- Holding context on complex solutions, thinking critically about adapting architecture with new learnings, identifying opportunities to improve along the way
- Developing team members’ skills & knowledge in the work, through tools such as pairing, code review, mentorship
- Working fluently with version control (Git)
If you have these skills that's a huge plus!
- Developing on the Shopify platform, or Liquid (Shopify’s templating language)
- Developing interfaces with accessibility in mind
- Designing interfaces with the help of a design system, such as Shopify Polaris
- Developing for ecommerce on different platforms - Wordpress, BigCommerce, etc.
- Interest in learning & writing functional code with Elixir
Please include a cover letter with your application – we’d love to better understand your background and experiences. We value diverse perspectives and believe that skills are transferable!
We are a company built on creativity, teamwork, and employee well-being. We trust our team members and encourage them to design their work schedules so that they can get the most out of their day. We value challenging ourselves and others to ask questions that uncover better solutions for the future, and we get joy from being around fun, communication-focused folks who want to make a difference at their work!
Some of our perks include:
- Flexible work schedule and remote-friendly culture and systems
- Providing company hardware and software
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity for growth as the company grows
- Exposure and learning across teams and services
- Health benefits and RRSP matching
- Company-sponsored wellness allowance
- Generous vacation policy
We bring passion and energy to our work, and believe that work should be rewarding, interesting, and come at a sustainable pace. Our team members can be found across Canada, the U.S. and the UK, and are well-adapted to working from home and the remote lifestyle.
Please note that we will be filling this position within Canada. We look forward to hearing from you!
We thank all who show interest. Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/pixel-union-senior-front-end-developer-apps
Please mention that you come from Remotely.rocks when applying for this job. Good luck ✌️